This post answers question How should tester design tests based on test strategy. Answer is aligned with Black Box Software Testing Foundations course (BBST) created by Rebecca Fiedler, Cem Kaner and James Bach.
Test design is how tester applies test strategy to the choosing specific test technique and generating test ideas, supporting data, code or procedures.
Here is a list of questions that could help you with your test design:
- Based on testers skills and knowledge, who is going to run tests?
Developer, student, my grandma?
- What kinds of problems you are looking for? (based on testing mission)
Could we process all possible Google search results for word capybara?
- How to clearly recognize pass/fail? (Oracles)
After which time period will Google index new page on blog.tentamen.eu?
- Which part of product we ignore? (What is not tested)
We do not test my song list export in sprint stardate 41153.7.
- Criteria for stop doing this test technique.
When we covered everything from out test mission.
- How to test? (what to do)
As part of this test, you will need to manually trigger cron job using this procedure: log in to host abba using linux server credentials, …
- Tools? Own of commercial? For what would be used: create test, execute test, create test data, evaluate test result?
I need to create fake user names, is there a web application for that? I will write a small ruby script, should I create my own data faker or is there a Ruby gem for that?
- Source of appropriate test data?
GPS coordinates of your country towns.
- Document testing and create of data archive in order to help new testers or future us.
Github gists with basic ideas or readme.md in repository? Word document with company template or .txt file without any formatting. Zipped folder with json or xml input files.
- Testing outputs: reports, logs, archives, code?
Link to logs of your testing session. github repo of simple testing tool. Jenkins job definition in github repo?
- Which part of project would make it testing harder or not possible?
We need to connect to Tesla model 3 car in order to test automatic car route reconfiguration.